It can be tempting to chase after “free” opportunities
- A volunteer is willing to start a new ministry idea
- An organization is offering to sponsor an initiative on your behalf
- Someone is willing to include your ad on their website, magazine or newsletter
- A partner wants to send a summer intern/assistant/extra-hands-and-feet-to-do-work-for-you
Sounds great, right? I mean, who doesn’t like free?
Before jumping on board, remember everything has a price. Sometimes it’s actual, physical dollars & cents. Other times it’s time. Or relationships. Or how much it impacts your brand or reputation.
So be sure to ask first:
- Is the timing right for this opportunity?
- What will it really cost?
- Will it ultimately help accomplish what we’re supposed to do?
“So often people are working hard at the wrong thing. Working on the right thing is probably more important than working hard.”